Aug 19, 2016

Life Lately {August}

I set really low expectations for this summer in terms of doing any activities or leaving the house, but all in all it's been a good, simple summer. Several times my mom took Evie and Audrey to her house to swim in the kiddie pool or go on special outings, for which I'm very grateful! They ask nearly every single day "Where are we going today?"...and nearly every single day my response is: "... nowhere". I willingly admit I'm relishing these days of lazy mornings and time spent at home, though, because I know soon enough busy and schedules will assume command of our days.
Before the hair chop with unexpected bangs, I miss their long hair already!

 A huge blessing of late has been all the generosity we've received from our community- fantastic meals (it feels like Christmas the whole day when you know you don't have to cook dinner!), borrowed maternity clothes, and the passing along of summer baby clothes. I'm thankful we're surrounded by such wonderful people, and hope to pass along even a tiny portion of the kindness we've received.
Lately a goal from my confirmation saint has often been popping into my head: To study and satisfy the tastes with whom one lives. I knew it belonged to a list of ten things altogether, so when I went to look them up I found she called it her Code of Amiability. It really hit me when I read that that amiability is so very much something I need to work on; I hadn't been able to pinpoint the exact virtue until then!
 If you get a chance, though, read the other nine parts of the code, as they are so good.

 ........
How is it that meals in the summer often seem so much simpler but no less delicious? I wish dinners could always be as easy as- grill meat, prepare salad, and eat.

 I'm slowly getting into the groove of meal planning-ish things and some new favorites that have become regulars in our meal rotation are:
Chicken Shawarma (made this because of Simcha's suggestion and she's right- it is SO good!)
Spinach Salad with Orange Vinaigrette 
Cranberry Avocado Spinach Salad with Chicken and Orange Poppy Seed Dressing
Also, shake my hand and call me 'Ma Ingalls' because I made Pesto from the basil that actually grew under my watch!
........
Our neighbors gave us their fish tank (fish included) since their son is going off to college and now we officially have a pet(s). ;)
....... 
Finally, Cora hit the two month mark! She's a sweetheart and chunking up nicely. :)

4 comments:

  1. Oooh! I pinned that chicken shawarma recipe a while back because Simcha raved about it! I need to get on it! We've been having a really laid back summer too, but I have to admit, I'm feeling a little cooped up. There's only so many times you can go to the sprinkler park and/or clean and fill the baby pool in the backyard. Whine, whine, whine.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just bookmarked the Code of Amiability so I can print it out later and hang it up in my house. I love finding new treasures like this in our faith! Thanks for sharing. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad summer is winding down nicely for you.
    Thanks for posting the Code of Amiability; had not seen that before.

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to chime in!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...