Oct 19, 2016

Aiming to Go Small Business This Christmas

There's a scene in the movie Babes in Toyland (the old one with Annette Funicello- which is equal parts whimsically cute and strange/scary) where the toys are waging a battle on one of the human bad guys and, well, I feel like I am in constant battle with the toys in our house! I do make it a point to keep some in the basement or out of sight/ reach and swap them out periodically but still the battle rages on...I need a break from the Duplo-block-feet-piercings and baby doll accessories that threaten my mental health with their ability to be always everywhere.

ALSO, with four girls all close in age, not accumulating lots of the same types of toys gets tricky. Thus my decision to peruse Etsy and other small businesses for most of the Christmas gifts this year; five years into this kids' Christmas/ birthday present buying gig I'm ready for a little change! Below is a roundup of items I've purchased, as well as things that caught my eye:
Small Business Christmas Gifts for Kids
 1 | 2 | 3 | 4
Etsy Christmas Gifts for Kids
5 | 6 | 7 | 8

1. My girls would love to tear around our yard (and house) waving these hand kites around (comes in pastel colors too).
2. Maybe for kids a bit older; this set just looks like fun. :)
3. I found a hand carved double wooden bowl at the thrift store and decided to add these acorns to it for a gift for Heidi. She loves to sort, she loves colors, and she really does have an affinity for acorns so...check!
4. Is this Little House peg doll set not the cutest thing you've ever seen? I also love the other storybook sets!
5. My favorite kind of toy- it inspires imagination and is ONE PIECE.
6. I have this Nativity block set tucked away for St. Nicholas' feast day. Perfect for the time of year when everyone's vying for play time with the Little People Nativity set. ;)
7. Lego rosary- such a neat idea for kids!
8. Admittedly we don't have many musical instrument toys; this stir xylophone looked like a safe and simple one to add.

Hair clips from this shop are a favorite around here and make good stocking stuffers. They hold up well to daily use and *slight* oversights- many have turned up in the bottom of our washing machine unscathed!

I am so excited to give Audrey this wooden car with peg people for her birthday. And how cute are the other vehicle options?

These wooden constellation coins would also make a neat stocking stuffer, as well as a fun thing to bring out during "reading light time" at night.

I was incredibly excited to win a set of Rosary Roses at the last CWBN blogging conference in VA; they had been on my "want" list for the girls for a good while! I'm thinking of mentioning these along with the Lego rosaries above if family members request gift ideas for the girls.

Someday I'd like to get a St. Josephine Bakhita print to frame for Heidi.
................

Of course this is just a snippet of the great small businesses and awesome Catholic artisians out there...if you have any favorites I'd love to hear about them!

2 comments:

  1. Oh I am right there with you in this department. Especially with all of the kids' birthdays in the fall, we are SUPER picky with what toys come into the house.
    And I cannot thank you enough for sharing Big White Farmhouse. We're SO appreciative!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it is especially challenging with birthdays near Christmas! I've heard other people mention giving "experiences" as gifts and I like that idea too- memories without the clutter. :)

      Delete

Feel free to chime in!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...