Nov 8, 2016

A Couple of Songs for Election Day

Last night I got sucked into reading a lengthy comments section of a political piece written by a Catholic (I couldn't look away!), and was quite saddened when I saw two commenters write something along the lines of, "I'm not Catholic but I'll never convert after reading these comments/ if this is the way Catholics treat each other". YOWZA.

Obviously this has been a rough election season (understatement!) for all, with lots of mudslinging fests breaking out everywhere.
The song "Rise Above It" popped into my head last night and I think that's a perfect line to keep in mind today. Definitely not in a snooty, "I be totally right" way, but in a "keep praying and channeling our efforts into working for what's good and true" way. God has the victory!
So, I give you:
Because, Cool Runnings, mon.

Also, these lines from "O God Beyond All Praising" seem fitting for today:
 and whether our tomorrows
be filled with good or ill,
we'll triumph through our sorrows
and rise to bless you still:
to marvel at your beauty
and glory in your ways,
and make a joyful duty
our sacrifice of praise. 

1 comment:

  1. Yikes! It's been terrible to see people I love (on both sides!) saying awful, smug things this election cycle. I've really appreciated all the "no matter what happens, let's try to be decent people after this" posts, though. I'm also a fan of this gem of a song from Cool Runnings. Thanks for sharing! :)

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to chime in!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...