Mar 2, 2017

So, I'm opening an Etsy shop!

By next week I'm *hoping* to open up shop selling vintage clothing. I'm thinking "vintage clothing" might convey different ideas to different people, so I'll explain a bit more. :)

My Grandma Betty was an avid second-hand shopper. I remember tagging along to the Purple Heart thrift store with her and my mom growing up, and I remember how proud she was that she only spent something like $2 on her shoes for one of my sister's weddings. :) My mom shopped at thrift stores a lot too, so over the years I grew to love it. Often a piece of clothing would catch my eye when I was at a second-hand shop that maybe I wouldn't wear or didn't particularly need, but still wanted to "document" it somehow- ridiculous as that may sound! Thus commenced the occasional blog post about random thrift store goods. That led me to wonder "What if?" about buying those things I find- things I love, find to be quirky and fun, or timeless classic styles- and setting up an Etsy shop. In the beginning of the year I started reading online about how to identify and date vintage clothing and find it all so fascinating! My cup of tea.

To be honest, I have no idea if this will go anywhere...or if I'll even make a sale! (In which case- my girls will have lots of dress-up clothes?) I'm just a mom with four young kids and a harebrained notion, Googling "how to package clothing for the mail" during nap time, while trying not to be intimidated by these big-time Etsy shops with professional-looking listing photos and massive inventory. *Deep breaths*

At the very least it's been a fun hobby/ side-project and I'm glad I'm giving it a try. If you're interested, I started an Instagram account and will post there (and here at some point) when my Etsy page is all set up: @BettysHeartCo
Also, my social media know-how is...limited, so should be interesting. Fake it til you make it, right?

Prayers appreciated. :)

10 comments:

  1. Congratulations! I look forward to favoriting your Etsy shop once it's up an running. :)

    PS-- Do you have a name yet? Something with "Betty" in it might be neat in honor of your grandma! Betty's Bureau or Betty's Baubles or something. Of course "And a Pinch of Zest" actually sounds nice too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much, Alicia. I really appreciate the support! 😊
    And I love your ideas, wish I could've heard them first- I settled on Betty's Heart Co. I had to come up with a name first thing and there are a lot of "Betty" named Etsy shops!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like so much fun!! I saw this gorgeous twenties looking wedding dress at the Salvation Army Family store and it was $13!!!!!! I wanted to buy it just because... but couldn't figure out a use. I kind of still regret it. I should have at least taken a picture!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahhh, that sounds so cool!! It's so hard when you see something but can't think of a use and have to walk away!

      Delete
  4. Lisa! I love this idea, and I can't wait to see some of your finds! Your posts on thrift store discoveries are among my favorites. Best of luck!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Teresa!! I love reading about other people's finds, too! 😊

      Delete
  5. SO excited for you and can't wait to see what you find! You have such a great eye.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Ashley!! It's been fun to search!

      Delete
  6. This is awesome! You have a great eye, and I am excited to see what you find! Hooray for new endeavors!

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to chime in!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...