May 21, 2017

Some Good Things

One of my brother's-in-law once told me of an old general store along a country road nearby whose elderly owner sat in a chair outside everyday in order to serve his customers- because the building had been condemned! Sure enough, the next time I took that route I spotted the ederly gentleman sitting outside his store. I excitedly told Tim, who mentioned it was unfortunate that when the owner passed away the place would most likely be destroyed. That thought made my heart hurt...not too long after I noticed the owner wasn't out it front anymore and then the property went up for sale. 
Well, just the other week I drove by and the store had been renovated and re-opened! In an area where construction is never-ending for more housing developments, apartment complexes and strip malls it's heartening to know some wonderful soul has an appreciation for existing businesses and antique buildings!

.....
Along that same vein, there's a nearby elementary school building that was recently razed as a new, bigger building was erected nearby. Earlier this spring I noticed as I drove by that the ground all around the razed site was dug up except for an area near the chain link fence- a large group of daffodils was in bloom and left untouched. I'd like to think that they were left alone in order to be preserved or re-planted. Beauty is saving the world!
 .....
In our diocesan paper I recently read about the Archbishop Fulton J. Sheen Center for Thought and Culture in NYC, which opened in 2015 in a decommissioned diocesan school. Millennials are the targeted audience and the center plays host for movies, lectures, plays, art etc. Below are two excerpts from the article that really stood out to me:
"Our programming comes down to the three classical components of the true, the good and the beautiful. Where the true and the good are so hotly debated, the beautiful gives us an opportunity for dialogue and diffuses the argumentative state of affairs."

and

The programs do not "have to be sunshine and rainbows, and they can explore the darkness of the human condition," but they should reflect St. John Paul II's observation that when a spark of goodness is present, a glow of beauty pervades the whole work, DiCerto said.

I LOVE this. Pretty sure Ven. Sheen & JPII are proud!
.....

Big White Farmhouse is having an awesome 25% off sale right now- there are so many great and beautiful things in this shop! I knew I wanted to get this Fairy House kit for Evie's birthday and one of their sewing drawers is answering my desire to give SOME semblance of order to the school and art supplies in our house...a constant work in progress but we're getting there. 
.....

If you follow Sancta Nomina then you probably know about this adorable Etsy shop Kate showcased last week. I'm kind of in love with everything, most especially the Narnia map and this quote that I'd really like to get for Evie and Audrey's room. 
.....

I know embroidered tops are pretty big right now and it's kinda fun to search Etsy for them. It can be hit or miss what comes up, but being able to input the max price is pretty great and there are some really cute gems!
.....
Finally, my sister introduced me to cherry lime La Croix and I am hooked. It offers the taste from my days of Cherry Coke drinking without the sugar intake and the afterwards feeling like a slug. It's not a flavor that's carried many places (ahem, Costco, Walmart...) but I did find it on Jet.com for pretty cheap. 

And that's all for now- Happy Sunday!

4 comments:

  1. oooh.. that narnia map! i like it. thanks for sharing.
    i have NEVER tried la croix. is it too bubbly/carbonated? if so, might not work for me. I burp too much haha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And she has other maps, too, that are so fun!
      La Croix is carbonated and for me at least I'd say it's pretty bubbly.

      Delete
  2. Thank you SO much for sharing about Big White Farmhouse! Can't wait to hear how Evie likes the fairy kit :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm really looking forward to giving it to her! :)

      Delete

Feel free to chime in!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...